Friday, August 3, 2012

Roy Never Wanted to Officially Retire




Brandon Roy’s retirement from the NBA last year wasn’t intended as a final decision.
The Minnesota Timberwolves were eager to help him clarify his status.
“After a few months of sitting out, I decided, ‘Hey, I don’t want to stop playing basketball,’ ” Roy said Tuesday at a news conference at Target Center after signing a two-year, $10.4 million contract. “I wanted to continue going forward. It was never a situation where I said, ‘I’m done forever.’ It’s just more of a pause.”
The Portland Trail Blazers announced Roy’s medical-related retirement right before the start of the lockout-shortened season last year. His knees, lacking cartilage after six operations, were bothering him too much to continue. Roy said Tuesday, though, that the team doctor advised him to quit. The Blazers used the amnesty clause to waive Roy and not count the remaining $63 million on his contract against their salary cap or luxury tax.
“It was never really officially my decision to retire,” Roy said.

No comments:

Post a Comment